Thursday, October 9, 2008

Listen, it's starting to rain...


My lungs feel like they have had their first full breath of fresh air in four months! Fall is here and a freshness has descended and blown through me. Fall, glorious fall is here! My skin is finally comfortable! I feel like I’ve been hot, sticky, and sweaty since May but finally, the air is cool, the sky has a tinge of gray, there’s a shower hiding behind that morning sunshine, ah…summer’s finally over!

I took my boys for a walk in a nearby wooded park. It was wonderful, we got rained on, we got muddy, they stomped in puddles and the only one wearing a jacket was the little guy. I feel like my mind can think again. It was so uplifting to breathe in the moist air filled with the damp smells of autumn; the moss, the falling leaves, the mud, all of it with the promise of coolness, fresh air, and rain. Oh yes, I am an Oregonian!

We’ve been sun baked all summer. I’ve been hiding under my straw hat and stinky sun block while my friends romp and play in the berry patches and the swimming pools with their children. I’ve gotten headaches from the heat and the glare; they’ve gotten wonderfully tan and enjoyed the outdoors. But now, my hat is no longer a mainstay in the trunk. It has been relegated to a hook in the garage. I look forward to taking my boys to the park and playing on the swings and slides and romping in the damp grass. I take my dog to the dog park and adore his romping play from my perch at the top of the knoll where I can catch every breeze that blows through.

It’s my time to be out. It’s my time to love the world I’m in, to see the beauty in the mist around the trees, to listen to the sounds of the dripping park, to roll the windows down and let the breeze rush through the car. It’s beautiful, it’s magnified, it’s glistening, it’s October in Oregon!

1 comment:

six of us said...

Yes, October in Oregon is beautiful! The rain is a nice change and I love falling asleep to the sound of rain beating on my porch roof. I do miss summer (especially the school break), but I'm not as into as you think--I don't like to sweat! And I'm so thankful to not have to slather 4 kids with sunscreen top to bottom. But it was a grand summer...I will miss it...it is gone...bring on the magnificent colors and smells of autumn! :)